Thursday, June 13, 2013

Blog Post #5


A person talking through a megaphone

The Langwitches - Flat Stanley Podcast is about a first grade class that read the book Flat Stanley by Jim Brown and made a podcast about it. Each student had a role in the podcast and was able to brainstorm with their teacher about the story-line which they were going to use. Each student also worked with their parents and thought of a city or place which they would like to travel to. I think it is amazing what these first graders did in their podcast. I know when I was in first grade, I did not even know what a podcast was. Also, I loved the imagination these kids had because it just simply made me smile because I could tell they were very happy in the podcast.

Langwitches - Podcasting with First Grade is about another first grade class that did a podcast about a book that they were currently reading. The book was called "Vacation under the Volcano" by Mary Pope Osborne. After reading chapter at a time, the class would discuss and summarize the what happened in the book by asking and answering their own questions. In the podcast, the students would pretend to be interviewing the two main characters of the book who were Jack and Annie. The boys were Jack and the girls were Annie in the interview and each student had a segment of the podcast. Each of the students learned many skills that included listening, speaking, storytelling, media, technology, and many more. All of the students were eager to listen to their voice over the podcast and they very happy with their success.

The Benefits of Podcasting in the Classroom by Joe Dale is a clip that describes the benefits of podcasting in the classroom. He explains that students that being taught that were born after the year 1980 are called Millenial's. He also explains that podcasting allows for differentiation in the classroom. Mr. Dale also tells how parents enjoy podcasting because they can see and understand what the students are learning in the classroom. I think that this is extremely beneficial because I know when I was younger my parents always asked what I was learning in school and by watching the podcasts the parents know whats going on.

3 comments:

  1. "I know when I was in first grade, I did not even know what a podcast was." Podcasts didn't exist. The first iPod was released when you were 8 or 9 and well past the first grade!

    Thoughtful. Well done. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Kai,
    I think you have a great post here. You explained what you read and talked about how the children benefited from doing a podcast. I too think it is exciting to see children work with things like this because my first blog and podcast came while I was in college. Do you think you will use a form of podcasts in your future classroom? Again good work keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Kai,
    Good job! I think this is a good summary of what these podcasts can be used for in a classroom. I hope you learned something from this to help you with your podcast for your group.

    Stephen Akins

    ReplyDelete